Thursday, April 05, 2007

Court / Legal Updates

Our last court date was on March 7th. They discontinued the goal of reunification, which is a step in the right direction. He continues to have visitation available with his biological parents, though it does not always occur. They then petitioned for the next court date, which will be to terminate parental rights and change the goal to adoption. I just found out on Monday that the date for that hearing will be on May 15th. It is scheduled to last two hours. They had originally said it would be an all-day thing and might therefore take six months to schedule. So this is good news. The biological parents have thirty days after the decision is made (which may or may not be the same day as the court date) to appeal to a higher court.

Anyway, things are underway and heading in the right direction. Meanwhile, the little guy turned five on Monday and is doing great. I was gone for four days, and when I got back I could have sworn he grew two inches and was speaking so much better than when I left (this wasn't true, of course, but it seemed that way). His new phrase today was "That not fair" as we were going home from work. He wanted to stay! He likes going to work with me and it's become a special treat, since most of the time my husband is home to watch him on those nights now.

Thanks for reading!