Sunday, November 04, 2007

Another Adoption

The little guy and I went over to his friend's house yesterday. They go to the same school and are both foster kids through the same agency. They both are hyper-spazz, so I don't feel like I have to worry as much about "what the parents must think". They get it.

Anyway, we found out that their adoption will be the same day as ours. In fact, his is right after us! That was super cool. This family lives five minutes from our house. So we have lots of good reasons to be friends. Unfortunately, they will go to different elementary schools. But for now, they're great buddies. This is the first "friend" we've had on a regular and consistent basis. And so it begins!

Tomorrow we are having a couple over that just completed foster parent training. I have been assigned as their mentor, and I am really excited to have them over for dinner. They seem like terrific people. They started out just interested in adopting through foster care, but through the course of the trainings they have decided that they are going to give foster parenting a shot. I can't wait to support them through this and hear of their experiences. Being a mentor allows me to meet a lot of really neat people and be involved with foster parenting in a more significant way than "just" being a parent to one kid at a time.

As for us, I'm not sure what the future holds. We'll leave that in Lisa's very capable placement hands!