Friday, March 10, 2006

Stripped of Titles--But Not Hope

Well, our foster daughter has decided to stop calling us Mom and Dad. She said she thinks it hurts her mother's feelings. I have to admit, I don't particularly enjoy the part of foster parenting that requires you to give all you have -- and more, and get no credit. And I don't like that biological parents give nothing--or sometimes give really bad "stuff" and they get treated as royalty. Grr. Such is life.

No word on the potential adoption, so I've stopped even considering that. I think the lawyer's office has moved, as well. I did email them to ask one way or the other if they got our paperwork, but never heard back. Needless to say, we'll likely use a different lawyer when/if we ever get to the adoption process.

Now that our first family vacation is behind us (it went mostly well--we should have laid out our expectations better, but this is how we learn), I am thinking that there is nothing else in our way that keeps us from starting the foster parenting. But time ticks on. The only thing I can do is use this time to get myself in a better routine about keeping the house clean and working on projects around the house that WON'T get finished once a child gets here. First on that list is the baby quilt that will go in the nursery. Too bad I misplaced my thimble. I'm supposed to have the quilting done on it before my quilting friend comes back from her mission trip on Monday. I guess this will mean I need to run and get another thimble, and spend some serious time over the weekend quilting away! I will post a picture when it's all done. I don't think I've posted any pictures here, eh? I at least should post the picture of the nursery. Here you go:















Here's hoping we'll use this room some day. We also re-did our foster daughter's bedroom. It was "neutral" green with blue and yellow accents--moons and stars and stuff. I like it much more now:
Much better! We still have yet to get blinds for the windows, but we're sure that we'll keep this room red/orange even after she graduates. It's an upbeat/happy kind of room.