Thursday, September 08, 2005

Part-Time Mom

You know, I never thought I'd consider myself "blessed" to be infertile. But tonight I had the opportunity to appreciate things in a way that I know wouldn't be quite the same if I had just easily gotten pregnant. Things like: taking a walk down the street after school, looking at bumps on an oak leaf, being amazed at dinner-time choices (combining root beer and Dr. Pepper and choosing banana peppers and mushrooms on a salad over pizza), running bath water, teaching a child to play croquet, catching a mischievous 8-year old as she tries to "pull one over" on the new lady, and tucking her into bed tonight.

I am amazed that she said "thank you for saying that" when I told her that I noticed a couple things I liked about her (that she used manners without being asked to and she was careful when she put ranch dressing on her salad at the salad bar). I couldn't shake the smile on my face as she donned her newly purchased "FBI gear" to go into Giant (though I made her keep the whistle and toy gun in the car, and still wonder about the gun--though she's much more interested in the walkie-talkie, the badge, and the whistle so I think it's best to not make a big deal out of it).

And I am saddened that my husband is out of town and is missing this experience. We've had some pretty unappreciative kids in the past that weren't willing to entertain themselves to any degree (this one played Lego's for at least 1/2 hour) or just put up a lot of resistance. I think this quick two-day stint would help him have a more positive experience (anyone can be on good behavior for two days). And he likely won't get home tomorrow night in time to meet her. She leaves Saturday morning.

But I'll take what I can get. How fortunate I am to be able to provide a safe place for her for two nights. And I get the pleasure of her company while I otherwise would have been quite lonesome. Being a foster parent is so rewarding. You get to catch glimpses of some pretty neat kids. And it's neat being a substitute teacher, because I'll likely run into this little gal again in the schools sometime.

So I head to bed, pleasantly exhausted with the events of the day!